It is not reasonable if your dog is losing weight. It can be due to an undiagnosed health issue or also because your dog is not getting the required nutrition. Some healthy pets can also be overweight or underweight. Take your pet to the vet and then follow the below-explained tips to get your dog to gain weight.
Diagnose if your dog is underweight
Your pet can lose or gain weight due to many reasons. You should weight your pet every week to keep track of it. Thus, it will be easier to reveal whether your pet is gaining weight or losing it. The vet might also need this information to assess your pet’s health conditions.
- Consult a vet: Discuss your dog’s health condition with a vet if he is losing weight. Let the vet diagnose what illness or parasite is causing this problem. Weight loss in dogs can occur due to hepatitis, cancer, diabetes, and inflammatory bowel disease. The vet can offer a quick cure if any of these health issues are affecting your pet’s life.
- Know what your pet’s ideal weight is: The vets use body conditioning scoring (BCS) to evaluate a dog is overweight, underweight, or perfect. Your dog is healthy if you can feel its ribs, see its waist, and outline of the bones is not visible. These signs will not be there if your dog is too thin.
- Deworm your dog: Let the vet perform a fecal test to diagnose intestinal parasites. Provide the required medicines to deworm your pet.
- Prepare a good exercise plan for your pet: Yes, dogs look fit and impressive when they are fit. They also do specific exercises to improve their physical strength and appearance. Take a vet’s support to prepare a rigorous workout plan for your pet and then follow that plan to keep your pet fit. Let your dog run, swim, jump, and play to keep him flexible and fit.
Add more calories to your dog’s daily diet
Provide your dog with more meal in its daily diet to provide him with additional calories for weight gain. You can also add a feed in your pet’s daily diet to increase his calorie intake. Make sure the changes in your dog’s daily diet do not cause adverse effects on his health.
- Read food label carefully to reveal how many calories per cup serving offers. The label will also explain what types of ingredients are used to prepare the dog food. Ask the vet about your pet’s nutritional demands and get some suggestions on nutritious dog foods.
- Mix healthy human food into your dog’s food to improve the nutritional value of food.
- Provide your dog with different types of foods to know what kind of food can help your dog in getting fitter faster.
Always add water to dry food so that your pet can eat his meal conveniently. These changes in your dog’s diet will help him in gaining weight faster. He will soon look healthier and fitter than before.