It might seem challenging to train your puppy or adult dog at home, but it is not impossible. You can train any dog at home. You can teach it to relieve itself outside, wait at the door, command to sit, run, and how to react when he has to relieve itself. Continue reading to learn how to train your dog at home.
Set up a routine
Pet owners love their cute puppies and dogs but not the mess they spread at home. The first thing you would like to teach your dog is relieving itself outside. So, take it out frequently. Take a walk with your dog as often as you can to show it where to do his job and where not to do.
- Teach your dog that he cannot eat whenever he wants. It will be quite helpful if you put this habit from an early age. Choose a morning time for morning meal at least 30 minutes before taking it out. Follow the same strategy for the evening meal.
- Dogs also show some signs that it is time to go out. You should learn those signs to recognize when your dog is going to relieve itself. His tail will be in a weird position, he will sniff around the home, and he will walk stuffily. It is the time when you should take your dog out to teach it where to do that thing.
- Do not take your dog to different locations. Choose a spot and take it to that spot time-and-again so that he can learn it is the place where he must relieve itself.
- Spend more time with your pet when he is new. Help it in determining what you want it to do and provide small treats whenever he follows your order.
- Keep it in a crate when you are not at home or when you are sleeping to ensure he will not spread the mess around.
Making your dog an obedient and loyal pet
Every dog is, by default, loyal. He needs to learn that you are his human, and he will never leave you throughout his life. Loyalty alone is not enough when it comes to turning a small puppy or a new dog into an obedient and well-behaving pet. Follow the below-explained tips to make it a perfect pet:
- Provide your pet with a treat whenever he goes outside for relieving itself. It is called positive reinforcement method that works exceptionally well on dogs.
- Do not miss the right occasion to reward your pet. Give it that treat right after he finishes his job at that same spot on his own.
- You can ring a bell or chime instead of offering gifts to let your dog know that he has done the right thing. Couple that bell or chime with a treat to make it learn it is a reward.
- Always be friendly with your pet when teaching it new things.
- Never punish your pet if you want it to be a functional and attractive pet.
Paper training dog in an apartment
You can teach your dog to do his job on a paper in the apartment if you cannot take it outside because you spend your day in the office and do not want it to create a mess around. Spread a paper in your apartment and take your dog to that spot for relieving itself.
Provide treats when your pet follows the same routine. That’s how your pet will learn the most important lesson.